In regards to self-censorship

Home Forums Last Podcast on the Left In regards to self-censorship

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  p0s1x3rr0r 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

ChunkyButternut
    Participant

Guys, in the last year you all (more specifically Ben) have become more and more observably progressive in your thoughts and interactions. I’m sure you all view this as a good thing, but it is leeching into your comedy. Every 20 minutes or so you backpeddle on yourselves after making a racist/controversial joke. Feeling you need to apologize for having a good time. I’m almost positive everyone knows it’s a joke, and you don’t have to beat yourselves up for it. It makes me cringe when you do. Hard. It’s getting to the point where I’m not enjoying myself listening over the hour. It’s why I stopped listening to Top Hat and Round Table. Whereas you used to give moderate insight to news Ben, you now have a sort of dogmatism. I can’t remember what podcast (sounds weak, I know), but I remember, on tophat, you actually shouting someone down mid-idea for not toeing the progressive-liberal line. Editing what they were trying to say.

Maybe I’m misidentifying something, and maybe you don’t call yourselves progressives. But, whatever the case you constantly hitting the brakes on the comedic flow is kiling this whole network for me. This does not come from a place of hate –although, yes, I do think your views are sometimes silly and misrepresentative or ill informed– and I am a small voice, but I think you guys should really consider what I say. Hail Satan.

goodbunny
    Participant

That guy is full of shit. I still believe in you, Ben.

ChunkyButternut
    Participant

I think what I said was fairly reasonable. I’m not slandering Ben or anyone else. I’m simply voicing my concern. Their virtue signalling has by and large gotten out of hand in my opinion. Why the hostility? Ben is an adult like me and you, I’m sure he can take critique.

carillon
    Participant

I don’t take offense to the self-censoring at all. I just started listening to this podcast and I first listened to a few of their new episodes and then went back to the old ones. I was already put off by some of the offensive things said in their newer episodes, but getting to the older ones I was pretty upset. Practically every other sentence contained the word “retard” or a racist or homophobic “joke”. I don’t think those types of jokes are the one and only way to create comedy. It kind of terrifies me that the person who created this thread thinks so. In today’s world it’s not just blatant hate and violence, but also tiny micro-aggressions that fuel racism, homophobia, and bigotry, (like those “jokes”). It’s not about being a “progressive” or “liberal”, it’s about being a decent human. It’s common sense that by making already marginalized groups the targets of your stereotyping and offensive jokes, it will only further the marginalization. I really appreciate the progressed censorship, keep it up guys!

carillon
    Participant

And to clarify, I really love this podcast. The content is great, the research is impressive, and it’s really hilarious. But I love it even more when they are thoughtful about what they say. They’ve made me laugh countless times when their jokes aren’t bigoted.

DetectivePopcornNg
    Participant

In a world that has gone so PC, I find the time I spend listening to LPOTL refreshing as hell. I need this in my life, just the way it is.

evolvealready
    Participant

Call me crazy, but I enjoy their “no holds barred” way of approaching the topics. I like finding the humor in their jokes, not nit-picking it apart to find what could be offensive.

rajanaed
    Participant

I believe that they’re just trying to be careful. You say that everyone knows that they are always kidding but that’s not necessarily true. As content grows and their ratings and numbers sky rocket, there’s a very real fear that someone might latch on to something that they say as truth and take action. Sometimes you have to censor yourself for safety reasons. Also, everyone has to keep in mind that Henry works in Hollywood, and the things that he says could really affect his career negatively. So maybe they’re just trying to be careful. There’s no way for them to monitor whether or not everyone that listens to them is completely stable and is coming to this podcast for pure entertainment, curiousity, or enjoyment. With great power and all that jazz.

p0s1x3rr0r
    Participant

Really get a freaking sense of humor. Reality is life and doesn’t contain censorship so why should they. Let them speak their mind even if it does offend comedy is simply that comedy. You never saw George Carlin ever apologize for a damn thing he said. Quit being so damn sensitive and grow a pair!

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  p0s1x3rr0r.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.